Solicitor Director and Notary Public
BCom LLB(Hons) Grad Dip Leg Prac LLM
Melissa’s unique approach, solid grasp of the law, and friendly approachable manner sees Melissa achieving consistently excellent results for her clients.
Melissa completed her Bachelor of Commerce/Laws (with Honours) from the University of Wollongong in 1994 whilst working as a paralegal for a sole practitioner. She then started as an investigator in the Canberra head office of the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (formerly the Trade Practices Commission), before being admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1996. Following admission, she joined a local firm and practised in the areas of commercial litigation (Local Court, District Court, Family Court, CTTT), personal injury and property law (conveyancing, leasing, mortgages). Melissa expanded her experience even more, working as a Senior Associate in large multinational firms in the CBD, in property law, commercial litigation (District, Supreme, Federal Courts), franchising, insurance law, intellectual property and trade practices (Parts IV, V and X). She founded Shire Legal in 2003.
Melissa’s generous nature has seen her sharing her exceptional legal knowledge and experience by:
- providing pro bono legal advice and assistance to, and holding the position of Public Officer for, Miranda Musical Society,
- coaching the St Catherine’s School and Kirrawee High School teams in the Law Society’s Mock Trial competition,
- lecturing in legal studies at Gymea TAFE,
- supporting the Salvation Army, Red Cross and Wesley Mission with their legal advice days,
- speaking at events with Southern Sydney BEC (now Realise Business), Cronulla-Sutherland Master Builders Association, local retirement villages and Southside Valuers,
- mentoring a newly-admitted lawyer as part of the Law Society’s Mentor Programme,
- hosting her own weekly radio program – The Everyday – on Sutherland Shire Radio (2SSR) , following regular interviews on Bob Birkhead’s program, and
- providing expert legal commentary on Eagle Waves Radio. and other media sources.
Her current focus is researching and adopting new and innovative practices that are starting to emerge within the legal industry, to bring Shire Legal to the forefront in delivering legal services to local residents and businesses in the best possible way.
In 2017, Melissa was appointed as a Notary Public of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. Information about her notarial services is available here. Melissa recently completed her Master of Laws (Applied Law) through The College of Law, specialising in Business Law. She is currently studying to become an accredited advisor with Family Business Australia.
Melissa holds the following memberships:
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Notary Public of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Solicitor of the Federal Court of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales
- St George Sutherland Law Society
- Realise Business (Southern Sydney)
- Australiasian Legal Practice Management Association (ALPMA)
- Legal Marketing Association (LMA)
- Family Business Australia (FBA)