Solicitor Director and Notary Public, BCom LLB(Hons) Grad Dip Leg Prac
Melissa’s unique approach delivers great results for her clients. Her solid grasp of the law sees Melissa achieving consistently excellent results for her clients.
Melissa completed her Bachelor of Commerce/Laws (with Honours) from the University of Wollongong in 1994. She then worked as an investigator with the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (formerly the Trade Practices Commission), before being admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1996. Following admission, she joined a suburban firm and practised in the areas of commercial litigation (Local Court, District Court, Family Court, CTTT), personal injury and property law (conveyancing, leasing, mortgages). Melissa expanded her experience even more, working as a Senior Associate in large multinational firms in the CBD, in property law, commercial litigation (District, Supreme, Federal Courts), franchising, insurance law, intellectual property and trade practices (Parts IV, V and X). She founded Shire Legal in 2003.
Melissa’s generous nature has seen her sharing her exceptional legal knowledge and experience by:
- providing pro bono legal advice and assistance to, and holding the position of Public Officer for, Miranda Musical Society,
- coaching the St Catherine’s School and Kirrawee High School teams in the Law Society’s Mock Trial competition,
- lecturing in legal studies at Gymea TAFE,
- supporting the Salvation Army, Red Cross and Wesley Mission with their legal advice days,
- speaking at events with Southern Sydney BEC (now Realise Business), Cronulla-Sutherland Master Builders Association, local retirement villages and Southside Valuers,
- mentoring a newly-admitted lawyer as part of the Law Society’s Mentor Programme, and
- featuring on Sutherland Shire Radio (2SSR) and Eagle Waves Radio.
Her current focus is researching and adopting new and innovative practices that are starting to emerge within the legal industry, to bring Shire Legal to the forefront in delivering legal services to local residents and businesses in the best possible way.
In 2017, Melissa was appointed as a Notary Public of the Supreme Court of New South Wales. Information about her notarial services is available here. Melissa is also currently enrolled to complete her Master of Laws (Applied Law) through The College of Law, focusing on the areas of Business Law and Estate Planning.
Melissa holds the following memberships:
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Notary Public of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Solicitor of the Federal Court of Australia
- Law Society of New South Wales
- St George Sutherland Law Society
- Realise Business (Southern Sydney)
- Australiasian Legal Practice Management Association (ALPMA)
- Legal Marketing Association (LMA)
- Family Business Australia (FBA)