Shire Legal can help you navigate your way through the complex laws, rules and regulations that underpin the customs, trade and transport sectors.
We can assist you across a broad spectrum of regulatory and commercial issues that affect various businesses in these sectors, including, customs brokers, freight forwarders, importers & exporters, NVOCs, road transport operators, cargo handling facilities, ports & terminals, warehouse & depot operators, and civil aviation operators. Our advice is not only of the highest technical quality, but is also commercially and strategically sound to suit your circumstances with the aim to achieve the best result for you, the client.
We can provide advice in the following areas;
- Regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues by the Australian Customs & Border Protection Service (Customs), including investigations and prosecutions, search warrants, and penalty notices
- Container detention matters
- Enforcing liens on cargo to secure payment
- Tariff classification
- Tariff Concession Orders (TCOs)
- Customs valuation
- Rules of origin
- Appeals to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT)
Shipping & Aviation
- Shipping and Aviation - cargo claims
- Air Waybill and Bill of Lading disputes
DAFF – Biosecurity
- Regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF – Biosecurity)
- Regional & bi-lateral free trade agreements
- Standard trading terms & conditions
- Product labeling regulations
- Anti-dumping & countervailing rules & disputes
- International agreements, including sale, licensing, carriage, & distribution agreements
- Import licensing & prohibitions
- Enhanced Policy By-Law Scheme (EPBS)
- Government assistance schemes
- Regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues by the Civil Aviation safety Authority (CASA), including investigations, enforceable voluntary undertakings, administrative action, infringement notices, demerit points, and prosecutions
Shire Legal has a close working relationship with Kognition
, an international trade, customs and indirect tax consulting firm. Our alliance with Kognition allows our clients to draw upon the combined specialist knowledge of Kognition and Shire Legal to achieve best outcomes by delivering high quality and cost effective services. Depending upon the type of customs, trade or transport matter, services can be provided by both Shire Legal and Kognition, or as standalone service providers.
To read our blogs on customs, trade and response, click here
We’re experts in customs, trade and transport law.