Positions currently available:
Click on name of position for more information:
We are looking for a lawyer (4 - 6 years PAE) willing to make a significant long-term contribution to the firm's ongoing success and growth. You will want to build on your existing knowledge and experience with a view to developing your client base, personal branding and knowledge in the following areas of law:
Property Law - easements, commercial and retail leasing, property transfers and refinance, co-ownership agreements, strata law (including changes of by-law), subdivision, property development (including neighbour agreements and option agreements), property agreements (family loan agreements, granny flat agreements), retirement village contracts, conveyancing (sales, purchases, off-the-plan).
Business Law - Sale and purchase of business, franchising, business agreements, employment law, intellectual property, competition & consumer law
Estates law - estate planning (wills, powers of attorney, enduring guardianships), business succession planning, probate / letters of administration, estate challenges.
Litigation - debt recovery, bankruptcy, insolvency.
It is not essential that you have knowledge and proven experience in all of the areas (although it is preferred). What is essential is a desire to expand your existing knowledge through continual learning and development, and an ability to maintain a high standard of work - we insist on quality and integrity in all of our matters and our dealings with our valued clients. Over time, you will be encouraged to further develop and focus on your preferred area of specialisation.
The role will involve handling an existing client and matter base, with a number of high priority items. A demonstrated ability to be able to "pick up a file and run with it" will be viewed favourably.
The successful applicant will have a friendly, approachable manner, with an empathetic approach to our valued clients. Excellent presentation and written/oral communication skills are a must, as are a proactive and enthusiastic work approach. Strong time management and organisational skills are crucial.
Immediate start available.
To apply, please email your covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Final year law student or law graduate needing to satisfy their Practical Legal Training (PLT) requirements on a voluntary part-time (2-3 days per week) basis.
In compliance with PLT requirements, your work experience will include:
- application of legal knowledge and skills to the resolution of real-life legal problems;
- experience of procedures and dynamics commonly found in offices in which legal services are provided;
- experience in the process of becoming a professional practitioner of the law including:
- significant contact with clients;
- drafting documents;
- legal research; and
- using a file management system.
You will work closely with the Shire Legal team in all areas of the law - business, litigation, property and wills/estates.
Your experience may include:
- Drafting court documents and correspondence;
- Assisting solicitors at Court attendances;
- Assisting solicitors with client conferences;
- File management and preparation of briefs for hearing;
- Preparation of contracts and agreements;
- Reviewing documents;
- Undertaking legal research;
- Drafting articles; and
- General administrative tasks.
The successful candidate will have:
- Superior people skills
- High levels of professional integrity
- The ability to manage time effectively
- Brilliant written and oral communication skills
- The ability to follow instructions and work independently
We have recently filled the PLT position for the period until August 2018, however if you wish to be considered for the position from August 2018 onwards, please email your covering letter and CV to email@example.com